Criteria and Timeline
Marin Catholic is a co-educational, college preparatory school committed to the development of the whole person. We strive to admit students who demonstrate the ability to succeed academically and who demonstrate a desire to participate in the religious and extra-curricular activities of the school community. Qualified Catholic students have priority, but students of all faiths are admitted. Acceptances are based on the following criteria:
- Completed Application. The application should be submitted on or before the priority filing date, Friday, December 6, 2013. The completed application should include the following: the on-line application forms, the applicant's writing sample and the transcript release form.
- Satisfactory seventh and eighth grade transcripts. We require transcripts that indicate the student is working successfully in their current studies and that their academic profile indicates they can be successful in our college prep curriculum. We are seeking to admit students who are positive contributors to their class and school communities through good marks or comments regarding attitude, discipline and effort.
- Positive academic and personal recommendations from the grammar school or middle school.
- Entrance Exam. Results of the Scholastic Testing Service High School Placement Test are used for admissions as well as to place students in the appropriate course of study. Results must demonstrate that the student is able to meet the school's academic expectations. This exam is mandatory for all applicants to Marin Catholic. It is offered on January 11 and January 18, 2014. Applicants should indicate the date they will take the exam on the Entrance Exam Reservation Form included in the on-line application. Some students, whose HSPT exam results indicate significant areas of weakness and math and/or English skills will be required to attend a five-week summer school program as a condition of their admission to Marin Catholic.
- Interview. The applicant and parent(s) will be interviewed to determine, among other things, their willingness to support Catholic values and their interest in joining the Marin Catholic community. Please indicate your first and second choice dates in the application.
TimelineThe following is a general time-line of the admissions process for the
Class of 2018 (those applying as incoming freshmen for Fall 2014).
- August 20 - Student and Parent Visits appointments may be made beginning on this day
- September-December - Student and Parent Visits available (see Visit tab for specific dates.)
- October 1 - Applications Available Online
- October 27 - Open House (2:00 - 4:30 pm)
- December 6 - Application Priority Filing Date
- January 11 & 18 - High School Placement Test (9:00 am)
- January 13 - Completed Tuition Assistance Application Submitted to TADS
- January 22, 23, 25, 30 & 31 - Admissions Interviews
- March 13 - Notification Day: Letters Mailed to Parents notifying them of admissions decision from Admissions Office.
- March 13 - Notification Day: Letters mailed to parents notifying them of tuition assistance awards from Business Office.
- March 14 - Electronic notification available after 3:00 p.m.